potted Guinness & cheddar
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups grated Irish sharp Cheddar cheese (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- dash or two of hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup Guinness
In food processor fitted with metal blade, with machine running, add garlic through feed tube. Process until minced. Add cream cheese and butter, process until smooth. Add Cheddar, chives, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, horseradish, pepper and pepper sauce. Process to combine. Add enough beer to make a spreadable consistency. The mixture will thicken upon chilling.
Pack into a crock or bowl, cover and refrigerate several hours to allow flavors to develop. Serve with apple slices and black bread or crackers.
Spread may be made several weeks in advance. Cover tightly and refrigerate to store.
Makes about 2 cups spread.