A yummy treat for lunch or my favorite — summer picnics! We love it because it’s quick to put together, especially if you choose to use a supermarket roast chicken in the summer, to avoid heating up the oven and the house! This salad will satisfy your most famished picnickers or summer barbecue guests.
This recipe originated from the recent Do Ahead Divas class with Chef Ricky Flickenger and me — and it was a HUGE hit! So, I wanted to share it with you. Of course, it ‘s even quicker and easier with a roast chicken from the supermarket, … and you can skip the steps in the first paragraph to save time!
- 2 small (about 1 pound) skinless, boneless chicken breasts or about 2 1/2 cups roasted chicken, diced
- ½ cup chili mangoes, cut into small dice
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- zest and juice of one lime
- 4 – 6 tablespoons mayonnaise, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons freshly snipped cilantro
- 1 avocado, in large dice
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- chili powder
- ¼ cup toasted pepitas or toasted slivered almonds
In a shallow skillet, bring to a boil enough water to almost cover the chicken. Add the breasts and salt to taste and simmer the chicken over moderately low heat for 8 minutes, or until cooked through but still slightly springy to the touch. Transfer the chicken to a plate and let cool. Cut into dice.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken with the mangoes, green onions, lime zest and half of the juice. Add the mayonnaise and spices, and gently fold the mixture until it is well combined. May be prepared 1 day in advance to this point. Cover and refrigerate until ready to continue.
Toss the avocado with the remaining lime juice, then gently fold it into the salad. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Split Hawaiian rolls, fill with salad mixture. Garnish with chili powder and pepitas.