The Guinness in this soup adds a wonderful richness, with just a slight, yeasty, bitter edge.
broccoli, cheese & Guinness soup
- 12 ounces Irish Cheddar, grated
- 1 tablespoon Wondra flour
- 2 cup broccoli flowerets, steamed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 medium onion, minced
- 1 cup Guinness
- 1/2 cup Rotelle tomatoes with chilis
- 2 – 3 tablespoons cream (optional)
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 green onion, finely sliced, for garnish
Toss grated cheese with the flour; set aside.
In small soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Sweat the onion with a bit of salt until tender. Add the beer, raise the heat to high and reduce to about 1/2 cup. Add tomatoes and cheese; stir to melt. Add cream if desired to achieve consistency. Stir in broccoli. Serve hot, sprinkled with green onion slices.