I wait eagerly for early summer and the arrival of fantastic produce! This is the time of year to enjoy beautiful, healthful salads, with the freshest ingredients. One of my favorite combinations is a kale avocado salad, topped with blackened salmon (the recipe for the salmon is linked below). Of course, the added bonus is that it is filled with super foods, those colorful, vitamin, antioxidant filled delicious bites — enjoy!
kale super food salad
- 1 small bunch kale, spine removed and torn into small bits or cut into ½-inch strips
- 1 ripe avocado, rough chopped, plus additional avocado, sliced for garnish, if desired
- 2 tablespoons red onion, cut in thin strips
- ¼ red bell pepper, in small dice
- ¼ yellow bell pepper, in small dice
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt and pepper
- 1 tomato, diced
In a large mixing bowl, massage kale, avocado, onion, peppers, carrot, lemon juice and about ½ teaspoon salt with your hands. This is an important step to help break down the kale and begin to develop the flavors in the salad. The kale will wilt ever so slightly, and the avocado will turn into a creamy dressing. Then, gently fold in the tomato. Adjust seasonings to taste with lemon, salt and pepper. Allow the salad to stand at least 15 minutes before serving. Will hold well for a few hours or even overnight!
When ready to serve, garnish with slivered almonds.
Additional optional super foods to add to your salad:
- ½ cup drained and rinsed canned beans — any kind!
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 or 2 hard cooked eggs, sliced or diced
- blackened salmon and chef Pam’s creole seasoning