I’m vacationing in Hawaii, but still feel the need to relax and cook a mouth-watering, sumptuous meal, with local ingredients and little fuss. The fresh ahi here is like none other I have ever tried, sooooo very fresh, melt in your mouth tender, with a delicate flavor all its own. I like to keep it simple, so serve it as part of an entrée salad, a lovely glass of medium dry white wine, and I am a happy, lazy vacationer!
seared ahi with wasabi ginger aioli
- 1 clove garlic, peeled & minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup purchased Mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon wasabi paste
- zest of 1/4 lime
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- dash red pepper flakes
for salad & garnish:
- salad greens
- 1/2 cup shredded or julienned carrots
- 1 small can mandarin oranges, well drained
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
for the tuna:
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds fresh tuna fillets, cut into four equal pieces, patted dry
For the aioli: In small bowl, combine garlic, ginger, Mayonnaise, soy sauce and wasabi paste. Mix to combine well. Store covered and chilled, in a small bowl or squeezer bottle.
For the vinaigrette: Whisk together the lime zest, juice, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, sugar, oil and pepper flakes. Toss with salad greens and divide to 4 serving plates. Top with carrots, cucumber, and oranges.
For the tuna: In large skillet or grill pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add chili flakes if desired. Cook 2 minutes. Raise heat to high. When pan is hot, add tuna. Cook 2 minutes, turn. Cook 2 minutes longer. If tuna is at desired doneness, remove from heat. If it requires longer cooking time, turn and repeat. Remove from the heat and allow to stand about 5 minutes. Slice thinly on acres the grain.
To serve: Plate sliced tuna on top of salad greens, drizzle with aioli, then sprinkle with spring onions. Serve immediately.